1 John 4:16
We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in him.
God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them.
I had taken my wife and our two children to get a snack at the DQ after a soccer game. My young son had just had his game, and we were celebrating the fact that he had done his best. It’s a tradition that we celebrate because we want to build confidence and support good sportsmanship and teamwork. Which really is the goal at this age. Our son was hungry as usual, having been on the soccer field since early that morning.
We took the kids in, let them pick out what they wanted to eat, and then headed to the car. Once we got inside, we gave each a napkin and their ice cream. Our little soccer player was heard saying from the back seat, "Dad, you know, I want to be very, very, very good." I answered with, "I know, son. You are good most of the time." But, he wouldn't leave it at that. Our son said, "But, Dad, I know, but, if I drop any of this on your back seat, you are going to be angry with me."
How many times have we, as a child of God, appeared before the Father, and didn't think we were living up to His expectations? We sometimes under estimate the Lord's love for his children, just as my son under estimated his Dad's love for him. Just as I wasn't expecting him to be perfect, neither is the Father expecting something we can't give. Each day that we live for Him, we do our best, and that's what He wants. He understands we are human, and that we might and often do fail, but He also knows that He gives us the power to succeed. And, if it's His will, and we work hard enough, endure long enough, then we will succeed. He's not keeping score, or drawing back with his hand to give us a lick, if we fail. He's ready to draw us into his loving arms. His Grace provided by the atoning death of His son has purchased that ability to freely love and support us even when we fail.
Hebrews 13:21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
James 1:4 So let faith grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything.
Heavenly Father, thank you for your unconditional love for your children. Help us realize that your love isn't based on our performance. That we do not earn your love but that it is given freely. Help us to understand fully that you are the God of Love and Grace. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.
Love one another,
The Church Mouse
No comments:
Post a Comment